Saturday, August 28, 2010

Starting Over

by Robert Vaughan

What the hell is the matter with this town? Nobody ever knows their way. They’re  
all clueless. Better yet, why can’t I leave? Because I have the money, and the  
Mustang. It’s mine, not his. And I have the freedom since the caterer fired me last  
Friday. So, is he the reason I stay?  

I’m not willing to say it’s over. I see them together on the golf course, or at  
Bewley’s Bar & Grill. She glares at me like I’m pathetic, like I’m a piece of shit.  
Fuck her. What she doesn’t know is he still sneaks over here when he’s wasted.  
Tells me he’s addicted to me, can’t quit.  

Aw, screw this. Maybe I’ll leave today. Head south. Start over.


Robert Vaughan’s plays have been produced in N.Y.C., L.A., S.F., and Milwaukee where he resides. He leads two writing roundtables for Redbird- Redoak Studio. His prose and poetry is published or forthcoming in over 50 literary journals. He was interviewed about Flash Fiction by WUWM’s Lake Effect. His work is included in 6S MIND GAMES anthology. He is a fiction editor at jmww magazine and his favorite word is peace. His blog: http://rgv7735.wordpress.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment